plans and wishes

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sun Jan 18 21:41:13 PST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:58:20 +0100, Alex Groenewoud
<alex at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

<snip>
> Which would probably lead to more support requests.  And yet we use
> /tools and not $TOOLS, and don't get any mails about that.  Except if
<snip>

You are comparing apples to oranges. Using the /tools symlink is required
as when one enters chroot the packages installed in chapter five will be
located in /tools. That is the point of making the /tools symlink in the
first place. However, the mount point on the host where the lfs files are
installed to can be located anywhere the user wishes without negatively
affecting the build process. Thus the $LFS variable so the user can put
the mount point anywhere they want it to be. Personally, I feel that with
the creation of the lfs user in the new instructions, we should recommend
they put the mount point in the lfs user's home directory, but since it
doesn't matter where they put it, I find it very equally acceptable that
the book recommends the mount point be created in the /mnt hierarchy
(where most mount points should be....hint, hint). Alex, your continuing
crusade to get $LFS changed to /lfs has met with nothing but opposition
(that I have read anyways) yet you still persist. Perhaps it is time you
let this one go.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182