/etc/hosts and localhost

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Mon Jan 19 04:20:56 PST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Jack Brown wrote:

> Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> ><snip>

> Not sure if this helps or not, but I'll just throw it out there for you
> guys anyway..
>
> on my own system I have this:
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/network I have:
> HOSTNAME=localhost
>
> in /etc/hosts I have:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> On the running system:
> the command "hostname" returns "localhost"
> the command "hostname --fqdn" returns "localhost.localdomain"
> the command "dnsdomainname" returns "localdomain"
> the command "domainname" returns "(none)"
>
> my bootscripts aren't modified, and to me this all seems correct since
> my internet/ethernet IP has no official FQDN associated with it, and I
> don't have any sort of NIS/YP setup. (hostname man page says "domainname
> - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name")
>
> ...Just in case it maters...

It does. I use this also. It came from an OP by someone (maybe you?) to
one of the lists. It passes info to those of us who watch the lists and
pick up little goodies like this even if the book misses it or chooses
not to include it.

*I* thank you for it, even if you were not the OP (last year?)

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational