/etc/hosts and localhost

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 19 09:01:40 PST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 08:13, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> > Not with LFS... the former is more correct though...
> > But hey, current state of affairs (maybe fixed, not too sure)
> > we don't set domainname at bootup anyway :-P
> > (incredibly __minor__ fix...)
>
> Yep. I used one of the methods posted to the list. I could never figure
> why the edit team didn't do something about this. Probably got lost in
> one of the numerous "black holes" that sprout around here.

Maybe because setting up the domain name manually is not needed? Using the
current book instructions, I get my domain name set up properly, see:

lizardo:~$ cat /etc/hosts
# Begin /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1   localhost
192.168.0.1 anderson.lizardo  anderson

# End /etc/hosts
lizardo:~$ hostname
anderson
lizardo:~$ hostname -f
anderson.lizardo
lizardo:~$ dnsdomainname
lizardo
lizardo:~$

[ Sorry if I didn't understand correctly what you've said. Actually, I found
Ryan's initial post a bit cryptic for my poor English :-/. Sorry Ryan... ]

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/