We are implicitly disabling NIS

Jack Brown jbrown at kmts.ca
Mon Jan 19 12:17:28 PST 2004

Anderson Lizardo wrote:
<snip>
> Then I looked how we setup our /etc/nsswitch.conf:
>
> # Begin /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> passwd: files
> group: files
> shadow: files
>
> publickey: files
>
> hosts: files dns
> networks: files
>
> protocols: db files
> services: db files
> ethers: db files
> rpc: db files
>
> netgroup: db files
>
> # End /etc/nsswitch.conf

Ok, just to stir things up a little bit more. I'm curious whether we
need "db" in the configuration of protocols, services, etc.

According to this page:
http://www.planetpenguin.de/manpages-man5-nsswitch.conf.5.html

"/lib/libnss_db.so.X  implements `db' source for glibc2"

On my machine at least, libnss_db.so.X does not exist.  Please note that
its been many many moons since I've followed the books way of building
things, so if this file is present on a "properly" built plfs system,
please correct me.

So, if I follow correctly, the "db" target is broken anyway, so mabe we
should eliminate it from our current nsswitch.conf.

Jack Brown