We are implicitly disabling NIS

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 19 12:46:16 PST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 16:17, Jack Brown wrote:
> Ok, just to stir things up a little bit more. I'm curious whether we
> need "db" in the configuration of protocols, services, etc.
>
> According to this page:
> http://www.planetpenguin.de/manpages-man5-nsswitch.conf.5.html
>
> "/lib/libnss_db.so.X  implements `db' source for glibc2"
>
> On my machine at least, libnss_db.so.X does not exist.  Please note that
> its been many many moons since I've followed the books way of building
> things, so if this file is present on a "properly" built plfs system,
> please correct me.
>
> So, if I follow correctly, the "db" target is broken anyway, so mabe we
> should eliminate it from our current nsswitch.conf.

Jack, I think you are right. This "db" option seems to be useful only for old
Glibc versions.

Please, can some editor take a look at
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-resolv.library.html#X-087-2-DNS-NSSWITCH.CONF.FILE.EXTENDED
and see if we could use this file instead of the current one? It's only an
example file anyway, and we sould add any other required lines (no Greg, I
didn't test this yet :P).

Actually, I think our current network setup is a bit outdated/buggy. I'll take
a look at the Network Administrator's Guide (not now, but ASAP) and see what
we need to update. Of course, anyone is invited to do this...

A bugzilla entry should also be nice.
--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org