new layout for the book (Gerard?)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 19 13:24:27 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:29:25 +0000 (GMT)
> Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:
>
> >  If "full contents" includes the programs / libraries installed by
> >  that
> > package, don't forget that in some of chapter 5 (util-linux, perl) we
> > only do a partial install.
>
> Hmmm, but in the current (released) book there's no difference.  Compare
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/5.0/chapter0{5,6}/perl.html.
> With Alex's restructuring the full information on each package is only
> given in Chapter 6, which seems sensible, seeing as that's what installs
> the final contents of each package.  Chapter 5 pages currently contain
> just the SBUs, download locations and installation instructions, which I
> must admit I rather like.

Yeah, brain damage on my part.  I remembered it had changed, but not the
detail.  Keep ch5 simple.

But...  it's been some time since I looked at the CVS book in detail.
5.0 is nice, a page with links to all of the download locations, another
page with all of the patches.  I like to assemble all of the ingredients
before starting the recipe.  Unless I'm missing something, the package
versions are now scattered throughout the book, and if you want to check
for all needed patches you've got to look at _every_ package in ch5,
ch6.  Bummer.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!