'su lfs' dropping into the background

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 19 20:24:31 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:33:31PM +0100, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> What a mess.  The -m flag to useradd doesn't just create the /home/lfs
> directory, but also populates it with all the files from /etc/skel.

Yes, of course. So, your /etc/skel is a mess. I don't see how LFS can do
much about that.

> don't like the idea of having to create /home/lfs and chown it by hand,
> but if we want to have a really clean environment we will have to do
> either that or tell the reader to do a rm -r /home/lfs/{*,.*}.  Or
> should we just ignore all those dot files, even the .profile and
> .bashrc?

We already take care of .bash_profile and .bashrc. Yes, a .profile from
/etc/skel could potentially be a problem I s'pose.

You'll recall that some others and myself spent quite a fair time of time
developing the current solution. It's not perfect but is vastly better then
what was in LFS 5.0. Improvements (tested) are always welcome.

> Now something else, when I exit from user lfs and re-enter, this
> happens:
>
> lfs at sunce:~ > exit
> logout
> root:~# su - lfs
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 su - lfs
> root:~#
>
> A foreground command is needed to get to the lfs user's shell:
>
> root:~# fg
> su - lfs
> lfs:~$
>
> Is this normal?

I don't think so. At least I cannot repro' here. Please endeavour to get to
the bottom of it. For starters, try without all that mess from your
/etc/skel