/etc/hosts and localhost

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Tue Jan 20 06:13:26 PST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Greg Schafer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:13:41AM -0500, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> > Yep. I used one of the methods posted to the list. I could never figure
> > why the edit team didn't do something about this.
>
> Probably coz its simply wrong!?!? Geez..
>
> Does anthing thing break coz of lack of it? No!!
>
> Things go in the book when they're proven to be correct. Someone prove why
> NIS/YP domainname is correct for LFS then we reconsider.

I never let *my* ignorance stop me from raising a topic that may result
in either learning that I am wrong or contributing to a good decision
being made. And since I monitor almost all the lists, I am unable to
always remember and understand in depth all that is said. So I do depend
on those who are more knowledgeable to provide discussion and final
resolution. To do otherwise would be folly on my part and misplaced
self-confidence.

I have neither the time, expertise or interest in *proving* all the
issues that may arise. I try to contribute *if* I can effectively do so.

> PS - Bill, your constant whining lately is starting to really get on the
> nose. Discussions DO often fizzle out. It's a fact of life. Get used to it.

Excellent point. I had never considered that fact the potentially good
threads should be allowed to die without firm decisions or maybe some
positive effect on the efforts of the project. In my past life, this was
considered a sign of sloppy or poor workmanship and lack of due care by
the technical staff. I guess I've not fully adjusted to (or accepted)
the appropriate views in the 'net environment.

> Instead of whining you'd be far better off using your time constructively.

I thought of the posts as "gentle reminders". I guess I was misguided
and it is considered whining? You make it obvious that what little I
have to contribute is unwelcome. No problem on this end.

As to using my time constructively, I was under the mistaken impression
(combined with the above wrong view) that there had been complaints in
the past about things that should have been completed not being
completed. This included "dangling threads". This caused some bad
effects. I was mistaken in thinking these sorts of things should be
addressed I guess.

> Pissing off the current hard working active editorial team ain't very
> constructive.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Regardless, I try to accommodate. I've no ego issues that prevent me from
fully reconsidering my efforts on this project.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational