/etc/hosts and localhost

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 20 16:05:53 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:13:26AM -0500, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> I have neither the time, expertise or interest in *proving* all the
> issues that may arise. I try to contribute *if* I can effectively do so.

That's fine, but there are better ways go about it then taking backhanded
swipes at the editors, which is how your comments have been coming across
recently.

> Excellent point. I had never considered that fact the potentially good
> threads should be allowed to die without firm decisions or maybe some
> positive effect on the efforts of the project.

Sometimes there is no clear resolution. Take for example the recent thread
about the clock init script. There was massive differences of opinion and
from what I can see, there is no clear way forward coz it's more complicated
than it looks.

> I thought of the posts as "gentle reminders". I guess I was misguided
> and it is considered whining? You make it obvious that what little I
> have to contribute is unwelcome. No problem on this end.

See above. When I say be more constuctive, instead of trolling the editors,
you could try to bring the discussion to a close, or if deemed appropriate,
file it in bz. Gerard used to be reasonably good at not letting stuff fall
thru' the cracks by periodically going thru' the lists and filing bz's as a
reminder. They'd often get closed as useless but at least they were looked
at. Then there are the threads that fizzle out naturally. Like I said,
get used to it. The editors are doing their best. If you cannot see that
then maybe you're way off beam.