'su lfs' dropping into the background

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Jan 20 19:35:42 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:39:15PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>.profile is never looked at if .bash_profile (or .bash_login) exists.
>>

>Yeah, good point. I just RTFM'd for bash and confirmed. Even if it did, it
>still wouldn't matter coz the currently emplyed method is that nifty :-)
>

>>Its not a problem here.  What could be a problem is /etc/profile on the
>>host system.
>>

>No. Definitely not. That's why the new method was developed in the first
>place -- to overcome that very problem. The current book does try to explain
>it. Please review and see if we can improve the text.

Hmm.  You're right of course.  However there may be a problem here.  If
a user exits from the lfs user and reenters, there is no assurance that
the 'source ~/.bash_profile' will be run again.  If that happens, there
could be an extra CFLAGS or some such variable left in the environment.

Taking a critical look at the text as it is now written, I feel it does
explain the process, but the content is relatively dense.  That is,
there is a lot of detail packed into a couple of paragraphs.

That said, about the only improvement I can thnk of is to add a note
after the 'source' command that if a user exits from the lfs user and
reenters, the command needs to be run again.

My wording would be:

"Caution: If you exit from the lfs user shell and reenter (or start an
additional instance), the .bash_profile command is not automatically
run.  Be sure to run the above command each time you start up the lfs
user profile."

  -- Bruce