i18n for bootscripts

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Wed Jan 21 06:00:07 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just got one of my Linux magazines today and there was an article
> about how to enable i18n support in bash scripts.
>
> Well, I asked this before, but is there any interest to provide the
> user with bootscript messages in their native language.

Sorry I (we?) missed that. I think you have a good thought there. Let me
go look at the archives... Oh! I see that here,

<http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002-December/012729.html>

you asked if it was possible, but did not ask if there was interest for
the book.

On my first thought, I it should not be directly a part of the book,
but others might think it should be.

> Not everybody knows English that well and it will restult in increased
> usability for LFS.

The nice thing is that if you have an interest, it is not necessary that
the project have an active interest. Often a contributor, such as
yourself, does a hint, gets some comments from the community,
"finalizes" it, and sends it to the hints list where it is posted and
available to all.

Sometimes the hints are later referenced from the book, or even merged
if the applicability seems to be widespread.

If you would feel like developing that hint (assuming the project
doesn't see it as a direct part of the book), you can get help with it
by posting to a list (mm, I'm not sure which one to use for getting
help on development of a hint) with questions or requests for comments.

> Fine regards,
>    Christoph Berg

If you do decide to do a hint, I'm sure you'll find a lot of help here.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational