/etc/hosts and localhost

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 21 10:04:52 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 14:38, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Things go in the book when they're proven to be correct. Someone prove why
> NIS/YP domainname is correct for LFS then we reconsider.

I agree here, since "domainname" is for NIS/YP only, I don't consider it
part of a base network setup. I think it's safe to say the vast majority
of people don't use NIS (or go a step further and say a lot of people
probably don't even know what it is and what it is used for).

As long as dnsdomainname works, I think we have covered the bases we
would want to.