'su lfs' dropping into the background

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Jan 21 14:49:20 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:48:24PM +0100, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> But but but...  If we cater for old and even for broken hosts, shouldn't
> we also cater for hosts with a borken /etc/skel?

Broken /etc/skel is not the problem. The current method is robust enough to
deal with whatever gunk comes across.

> I tried it with an empty /etc/profile: same result.  Nothing helped,
> until I removed the "exec" word from .bash_profile.
> The following .bash_profile works just fine:

So the exec is causing your problem? That makes no sense at all. There must
be some other weirdness on your host causing this which we need to get to
the bottom of. I'll attempt to repro' on some older hosts.