'su lfs' dropping into the background

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Jan 21 17:51:19 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:02:51PM -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> The .bash_profile that Alex posted has a "; exit" after the env.

Oops. didn't notice that..

> That
> ought to work reasonably well, I think -- when the user exits the shell
> that env starts, the shell that su starts will also exit.

Yeah, but it's sub-optimal (extra shell instance) and rather annoying to use
just to work around a problem that only 1 person (so far) can reproduce. The
current method is already bordering on hackery and this will just confirm it
:-)

I just experimented with 2.04 and still cannot reproduce. That bit of
changelog you quoted says "if a job-control shell was run with `exec' in the
startup files". I would of thought a "job-control" shell was one that was
backgrounded with "&". Maybe Alex's shell is somehow getting backgrunded but
I cannot for the life of me see how or why..