'su lfs' dropping into the background

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Jan 21 18:35:26 PST 2004

Greg Schafer wrote:
> That bit of changelog you quoted says "if a job-control shell was run
> with `exec' in the startup files". I would of thought a "job-control"
> shell was one that was backgrounded with "&".

Could be, I'm not entirely sure.  I figured it was talking about a shell
that has job control enabled (as opposed to one that was configured with
--disable-job-control, or where the autoconfigury thought it wasn't
supported).

And when they say "if a job-control shell was run with `exec' in the
startup files", are they talking about starting a shell from the startup
files using exec (like we're doing, indirectly), or are they talking
about a bug in job-control-enabled shells when you use exec at all in
the startup files that it runs?  I'm not too sure on the meaning of that
entry.

I also don't know for sure whether the effect of the bug would cause the
symptoms Alex was seeing (the shell getting stopped).  Basically, I
don't know enough to know whether being in a different process group
than the controlling TTY, then trying to do output, would do that.

So yeah -- it's one possibility, but I don't know for sure if it causes
the problem.

It'd be interesting to see if it still happens on Alex's machine if he
installed bash 2.05b in a prefix like /opt/newbash and used that version
instead -- since, for the moment, he's the only one that can reproduce
this.