i18n for bootscripts

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 22 04:28:10 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > For the official package, a set of .po files (or other method) that translate
> > the boot messages to different languages depending of the LANG variable may be
> > cool. If the framework is done, surelly many folks will send the needed lines
> > to see the messages in their own language.
>
> Yep, the .po files are a good thing, but we have a problem where to
> place them. Normally they are placed in /usr/include/locales or
> something like that, but the problem is, if the user has the /usr dir
> not on the root partition, because there are messages before "Mounting
> all remaining file systems".
>
> Fine regards,
>    Christoph Berg

 For bootscripts, I suggest any particular system should only boot in
one language.  Maybe the translators could provide patches for the
bootscripts to put them all into the desired language ?  Probably doesn't
help for non-left-to-right languages, and I'm not sure if the kernel
can display non-American characters without using setfont, which is also
in /usr.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!