'su lfs' dropping into the background

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 22 05:42:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> Has everyone forgotten the -M option...
>
> -M does not create the home directory, use anything from /etc/skel...
> all it does is update passwd and shadow
>
> useradd -u $uid -g users -c "LFS user" -d /wherever/you/want -M lfs

Hmm. My 'man useradd' shows no -M option. But this

  useradd -u 666 -g audio -c "Testing user" -d /home/testing -M testing

gives no error message. The user is added in /etc/passwd, initial group
is set. However, there is no /home/testing directory created. IIUC, we
need a home directory created without /etc/skel being copied in.

Lfs version is CVS 20031013 (approximate) with various minor upgrades.
Coreutils is 5.0

AFAICT, the '-M' is ignored, which seems a surprise to me. I would want
either some action or an error message.

> [R]

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet