'su lfs' dropping into the background

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 22 05:51:35 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Greg Schafer wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:02:51PM -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
><snip>

> I just experimented with 2.04 and still cannot reproduce. That bit of
> changelog you quoted says "if a job-control shell was run with `exec' in the
> startup files". I would of thought a "job-control" shell was one that was
> backgrounded with "&". Maybe Alex's shell is somehow getting backgrunded but
> I cannot for the life of me see how or why..

I'm not sure you can count on reproducing at all. I tried to help
someone with a way to "glob" certain things using wildcards and some
bash options. On my 2.05b (installed per the book) all worked. On his,
he never could get the same results, even running the same commands. I
don't know why and he had to move on to other things.

I suspect you may have one of those situations here.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet