'su lfs' dropping into the background

Jon Ringle jon.ringle at comdial.com
Thu Jan 22 05:52:45 PST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 08:42 am, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> > Has everyone forgotten the -M option...
> >
> > -M does not create the home directory, use anything from /etc/skel...
> > all it does is update passwd and shadow
> >
> > useradd -u $uid -g users -c "LFS user" -d /wherever/you/want -M lfs
>
> Hmm. My 'man useradd' shows no -M option. But this
>
>   useradd -u 666 -g audio -c "Testing user" -d /home/testing -M testing
>
> gives no error message. The user is added in /etc/passwd, initial group
> is set. However, there is no /home/testing directory created. IIUC, we
> need a home directory created without /etc/skel being copied in.
>
> Lfs version is CVS 20031013 (approximate) with various minor upgrades.
> Coreutils is 5.0
>
> AFAICT, the '-M' is ignored, which seems a surprise to me. I would want
> either some action or an error message.

A man useradd on a Mandrake 9.1 system shows a -M in the synopsis section, but
no other explanation. Also the synopsis has a mismatched trailing ] character
following the -M. I don't understand the " |" " " -M ]] shown.

USERADD(8)
<snip>
SYNOPSIS
       useradd [-c comment] [-d home_dir]
               [-e expire_date] [-f inactive_time]
               [-g initial_group] [-G group[,...]]
               [-m [-k skeleton_dir] " |" " " -M ]] [-o] [-p passwd]
               [-s shell] [-u uid] [-N] [-r]login
<snip>