i18n for bootscripts

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 22 12:43:33 PST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> On Thursday 22 January 2004 08:28, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > > Yep, the .po files are a good thing, but we have a problem where to
> > > place them. Normally they are placed in /usr/include/locales or
> > > something like that, but the problem is, if the user has the /usr dir
> > > not on the root partition, because there are messages before "Mounting
> > > all remaining file systems".
> >
> >  For bootscripts, I suggest any particular system should only boot in
> > one language.  Maybe the translators could provide patches for the
> > bootscripts to put them all into the desired language ?  Probably doesn't
> > help for non-left-to-right languages, and I'm not sure if the kernel
> > can display non-American characters without using setfont, which is also
> > in /usr.
>
> I also don't like the idea of a critical package like the LFS-bootscripts
> depending on a package from /usr (gettext). I have some suggestions though,
> that I will describe below. Notice that I didn't fully test these
> instructions yet.
>
> (1) Regarding setfont: we can add instructions (to a hint or to each
> translated LFS-book version which uses non-ascii chars) to copy a static
> version of the necessary console font to the /boot dir, and then mv (or cp)
> the setfont program to /bin. Eg:

What if /boot is not mounted? IIRC it is not required to be mounted for
the boot loader to operate and AFAIK, it need not be mounted for the
system to complete boot up and transition to normal operations. Wouldn't
it be better to either just place in under / (or make a dedicated
directory on the root FS) or place it somewhere else that is *certain*
to be mounted when needed? For this I'm not worrying about FHS.

><snip>

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet