i18n for bootscripts

Anderson Lizardo andersonlizardo at yahoo.com.br
Thu Jan 22 15:10:53 PST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 16:43, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > (1) Regarding setfont: we can add instructions (to a hint or to each
> > translated LFS-book version which uses non-ascii chars) to copy a static
> > version of the necessary console font to the /boot dir, and then mv (or
cp)
> > the setfont program to /bin. Eg:
>
> What if /boot is not mounted? IIRC it is not required to be mounted for
> the boot loader to operate and AFAIK, it need not be mounted for the
> system to complete boot up and transition to normal operations. Wouldn't
> it be better to either just place in under / (or make a dedicated
> directory on the root FS) or place it somewhere else that is *certain*
> to be mounted when needed? For this I'm not worrying about FHS.

Okay, I think that put the console font on /boot was not a good idea. /boot
was not designed to store this kind of file. Actually, I have a setup similar
to what I've described (a init script that calls setfont to change the
default font), but I maintain the font file under
/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts, and only calls setfont script after mountfs.

Anyone have a better suggestion? I also had the idea to hardcode the console
font on the kernel (like the "loadkeys -m" command for keyboard layout), but
I still did not find information about this.

--
Anderson Lizardo