i18n for bootscripts

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 22 16:08:13 PST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 19:34, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>

> > Anyone have a better suggestion? I also had the idea to hardcode the
console
> > font on the kernel (like the "loadkeys -m" command for keyboard layout),
but
> > I still did not find information about this.
> >

> Is this why it's not a simple matter of writing them in the native
> language?  What about the default NLS kernel option?  Isn't this part of
> what that option is for? I know it's for the characters that make up
> filenames on the filesystem, but does it affect the console in allowing
> you to display non english chars too?  The kernel's helps system kindof

I'm not sure, but I think it does not affect the kernel's video subsystem (I
may be seriously wrong, though). I have

CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"

on my kernel's .config but still have to load the proper console font to
display certain accents.

PS: Sorry if my last messages are being filtered as SPAM. My ISP gives me
dynamic IP's, and I just received one which is listed on multiple SPAM lists
:-/

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org