i18n for bootscripts

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 22 17:42:10 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Daniel Baumann wrote:

> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
> >Yep, but does your suggestion also imply copying _all_ localizated rc.d.LANG
> >directories to /etc?
> >

> I personally would make this with a Makefile, ie installing english as
> default and additional languages with --languages=foo,bar
>
> btw, a 'ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d /etc' would be fine too.

 However you do this, any particular system will only ever boot up with
one language, the one that was last selected[1].  Ignoring people who
are learning languages and rebooting frequently, individuals will have one
language they're happiest with, companies will have their own standard.
Why not just one set of bootscripts with text hardcoded into them (and
altered by patches from the translators) ?

 Also, if the Makefile were to be "standard, but optional", every
translation team would need to merge their input into it and there would
be a general maintenance overhead.  Certainly do-able, but a lot of
effort.  The people who care most about this are probably the
translators, I think it best to let each team do its own thing on this.

 As for the font, if needed, I'd be a heretic and stick it in /etc
(can't be bothered to spend time reading the FHS about this!).

Ken

[1] unless you hack the kernel to pass a lang= argument to init, and
hack init to pass it to the bootscripts - or start the bootscripts by
grepping dmesg looking for it.  Even then, for many systems you'd have
to fiddle with the boot manager to change the argument.