i18n for bootscripts

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 22 20:30:10 PST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 21:42, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> > I personally would make this with a Makefile, ie installing english as
> > default and additional languages with --languages=foo,bar
> >
> > btw, a 'ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d /etc' would be fine too.
> >

>  However you do this, any particular system will only ever boot up with
> one language, the one that was last selected[1].  Ignoring people who
> are learning languages and rebooting frequently, individuals will have one
> language they're happiest with, companies will have their own standard.
> Why not just one set of bootscripts with text hardcoded into them (and
> altered by patches from the translators) ?

See my initial post:

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2004-January/041526.html

I think it has the same effect that you suggest (have only one rc.d tree, as
we will generally use only one language). Also, I think the idea of patching
LFS-bootscripts is not suitable, because, if we need to use setfont, we have
to create an additional init script and additional symlinks, and AFAIK,
patches do not create symlinks.

>  Also, if the Makefile were to be "standard, but optional", every
> translation team would need to merge their input into it and there would
> be a general maintenance overhead.  Certainly do-able, but a lot of
> effort.  The people who care most about this are probably the
> translators, I think it best to let each team do its own thing on this.

Possibly. I don't know who is(are) the current maintainer(s) of
lfs-bootscripts, or if there is enough interest of maintaning this on
mainstream package, but at least LFS-BR will maintain a localizated version
of the lfs-bootscripts package (will go to the TODO list, after the 5.x
translation, of course).

>  As for the font, if needed, I'd be a heretic and stick it in /etc
> (can't be bothered to spend time reading the FHS about this!).

I'm not sure about where to keep the console font file yet. But, at least for
pt_BR, the only drawback of not running setfont early on the boot process is
that you don't have accents (eg. "modulo" instead of "módulo"), which is
acceptable because anyone who understands pt_BR can read an entire text
without accents and still fully understand it. So the "setfont" command can
be run after /usr is mounted, and the console font be kept on its standard
location i.e. /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts.

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/