plans and wishes

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 23 07:00:11 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Joel Miller wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:51:39 +0100, Alex Groenewoud
> > <alex at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> ><snip>

[snip]

> > > should obey the rules.  But if an admin is not free to do whatever she
> > > pleases on her own system, where have we ended up?
>
> Well, we end up with a greater likelihood that other admins may be more
> effective in working on another admin's system. A Bad Thing in regards
> to job security.

 If it's your own personal system, then "your distro, your rules"
obviously applies.  The problem with that is that eventually an unusual
way of doing things will cause unexpected, and hard to find, problems.
Similar to buildscripts - we all do it, and when they break we get to
keep both pieces.

 Systems for companies or organisations are different.  Try to follow
the principal of least surprise.  It's one thing to set it up
idiosyncratically to make it harder for people to take your job away,
but it's a pain for whoever follows you (and just sometimes people leave
voluntarily), and it can be interesting if somebody _has_ to fix it
while you are on leave or in hospital.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!