i18n for bootscripts

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Fri Jan 23 13:13:14 PST 2004

[21.01.2004] Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational <-- :
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > I just got one of my Linux magazines today and there was an article
> > about how to enable i18n support in bash scripts.
> >
> > Well, I asked this before, but is there any interest to provide the
> > user with bootscript messages in their native language.
>
> Sorry I (we?) missed that. I think you have a good thought there.
>
> Let me go look at the archives... Oh! I see that here,
>
> <http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002-December/012729.html>
>
> you asked if it was possible, but did not ask if there was interest for
> the book.
>
> On my first thought, I it should not be directly a part of the book,
> but others might think it should be.
>

> > Not everybody knows English that well and it will restult in increased
> > usability for LFS.
>
> The nice thing is that if you have an interest, it is not necessary that
> the project have an active interest. Often a contributor, such as
> yourself, does a hint, gets some comments from the community,
> "finalizes" it, and sends it to the hints list where it is posted and
> available to all.
>
> Sometimes the hints are later referenced from the book, or even merged
> if the applicability seems to be widespread.

Just to make one thing CLEAR: a complete i18n hint WAS PRESENT,
including i18n initscript creation, including doing your own fonts,
including creating you own locales for regional dialects, including
building up a multilingual keytable and make applications ready to use
it, and last not least building a correct LFS for such purpose.

(And yes, there was even a german text version of the whole stuff.)
I have put a lot of work into it, discussing in detail how all the
components are influencing eachother, why things should be done that
way, how one can deviate, where to be careful then and what to do if
things don't work as expected. The download area had patches and
the whole stuff for offline reading.

And what happened?
This site was linked from various sites which had nothing to do with
LFS at all - although it was explicitly written with regard to LFS.
Numerous questions on the lists and my own advertising lead to Seth
finally referencing it in the FAQ.
No, it was never accepted as a hint, unless I rewrote it in hint
format. But later it was completely ok to accept a hint from a guy
in htm format - due to its complexity!
There were rumours on another list, complaints about outdated hints,
and I was already trying to update to what was called plfs at that
time; trying, the standard answer was, use the stable version of the
book or read three month of dev list, the script ...

You know how great it feels, realizing that an LFS system is not able
to build a new LFS system, in mind that the docs should really by now
mention new package versions and the meaning of all the deep changes
for i18n - and then ask myself what the hell I do this for, because in
an international environment it is obviously completely useless to
consider correct i10n? Another work worth to be ignored?

> If you would feel like developing that hint (assuming the project
> doesn't see it as a direct part of the book), you can get help with it
> by posting to a list (mm, I'm not sure which one to use for getting
> help on development of a hint) with questions or requests for comments.

I came to LFS because I needed to build my own system and I thought, the
wheel must not be invented again and again. I wrote my scratches into
docs because I thought, it might be good thought to provide all
information to build a fully i10n aware LFS, so it has not to be
invented again and again. Yes, I really thought my work would be useful.
But Mr. Maltby, "a long term" watcher of the lists, expressed it already:

> I think you have a good thought there.
> If you do decide to do a hint, I'm sure you'll find a lot of help here.

You can at least be proud that the organizational leader recognizes that
*you* had a good thought, where all stuff was already present, ready to
use, and this for a long time! All the following questions I have seen
in this thread would not have occured, if you had a base of i10n.

It would have been a simple mail asking for my new docs. But the
organizational leader deceided my work had to be treated as never
existent and you had to invent the wheel again. That's the help, and
that's the "educational value" which Mr. Maltby uses as argument for
just everything.

> Bill Maltby,
> LFS Organizational

E. Pacholleck