'su - lfs' dropping into the background

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 24 06:31:47 PST 2004

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> It'd be interesting to see if it still happens on Alex's machine if he
> installed bash 2.05b in a prefix like /opt/newbash and used that version
> instead

Using bash 2.05b made no difference.  To exclude library problems I
built static versions of bash, env and su on an LFS system and dropped
on the host.  It turns out that 'su' is the culprit.  All other things
being equal:

root:/# /opt/static/su - lfs
lfs:~$
lfs:~$ Yoopee!
bash: Yoopee!: command not found

Then I got the sh-utils-2.0 source package from the SuSE 7.0 CDs.  It
uses a patch that affects mainly just su (doing something with PAM).
Building with the patch results in a backgrounding su, without the patch
su behaves fine.  Building the same package with the patch on an LFS
system, using the same switches, su behaves fine too.  Apparently I have
fubarred PAM stuff on my host.  Not so yoopee.

Then I tried it with a pristine SuSE 7.0 installation: 'su - lfs'
backgrounds there too.  Hmm, looks like a broken distro to me.  Anyone
who can confirm this?

Alex