Should the build commands be reinstallable?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 24 09:47:50 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 16:45, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Currently, there is a bunch of packages that fail to reinstall when using
> the book's commands, mainly due to use of "ln -s" instead of "ln -sf".
> There's also a couple of "mkdir" 's instead of "mkdir -p" 's as well. And
> lastly, bzip2 refuses to reinstall unless a "rm -f /usr/bin/bz*" is slipped
> in before the "make install".

I read the other replies, I agree that ln -sf and mkdir -p may not be
the right thing to do, because users will catch errors earlier that way.

However, the bzip2 issue is one of those example that scripts won't
really know about until they are actually bitten by it. If nothing else,
we should probably at least mention such situations. The general "ln
-sf" and "mkdir -p" seems common sense to me though, any scripter should
know about those basic issues. Package specific issues are where we can
help out (bzip2 and the patches we use that make sure no duplicate
binaries are installed).