Bug #114: expand setclock script

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 24 10:40:01 PST 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 21:24, Dustin D. Cook wrote:
>Taking all comments into consideration I say this is better served in
>BLFS, if they chose to deal with it. There's too many variables to
>determine which clock is more accurate and it would be wrong not to take
>them all into account else it defeats the whole purpose to begin with.

By the same reasoning, when the system is booting up it is wrong to set
the time from the BIOS coz the BIOS clock may be way off.

I would suggest modifying the setclock script to write to the BIOS
during shutdown but not link it from rc6.d and rc0.d. Then put a
paragraph in the book about making the symlinks and that it is recommended.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/