RFC - Bugs 688 & 732

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 24 12:16:29 PST 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 15:40, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 15:00, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> > > umount: /mnt/lfs: device is busy
> >
> > Yes, that's the whole reason why mounts should be done outside of
> > chroot: so that the halt scripts on the host know what to unmount.
> > I've seen those red "failed" messages far too often.
>
> That too is the only issue I have with it.
>
> However, Chapter 9 lists the two umount commands. Can we not assume
> people who have read the entire book and followed it properly will also
> follow that last page and unmount?

The problem is if the user interrupts the building and exits chroot
environment (e.g. to continue the compilation later). There is no explicit
instructions to umount proc/devpts before exit chroot until Chapter 9.

One possible solution is to add a reminder on "Entering the chroot
environment" to umount proc/devpts *before* exiting chroot, similar to what
we have to remount them when re-entering. Also, It would be nice to expose
what message will appear if the user forgets to do this, because, IMHO, a
"umount: /mnt/lfs: device is busy" is not too intuitive to indicate the real
cause of the umount failure.

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org