Bug #114: expand setclock script

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sat Jan 24 13:00:56 PST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:40:01 -0600
Tushar Teredesai <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> By the same reasoning, when the system is booting up it is wrong to
> set the time from the BIOS coz the BIOS clock may be way off.

Dont be silly. you have to have *some* kind of clock, and the system
clock is *garaunteed* to be wrong until its set.

> I would suggest modifying the setclock script to write to the BIOS
> during shutdown but not link it from rc6.d and rc0.d.

Ie. make the script complete and able to save the state if necessary. yes I agree thats a good idea.

> Then put a
> paragraph in the book about making the symlinks and that it is
> recommended.

Nice try. that paragraph would be UNhelpful to ANYONE who doesnt synchronise their machine somehow.

The paragraph should instead state the reason we DONT use the shutdown symlinks, and suggest the user investigate ntpd and such if they require such functionality.

(for reference, yes I personally use ntpd).

Incidentally, ntpd uses its own permanent references on disk, so this whole thing is a bit moot in anycase ;-)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.