Bug #114: expand setclock script

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 14:31:44 PST 2004

Ian Molton wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:40:01 -0600
>Tushar Teredesai <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>>By the same reasoning, when the system is booting up it is wrong to
>>set the time from the BIOS coz the BIOS clock may be way off.
>>

>Dont be silly. you have to have *some* kind of clock, and the system
>clock is *garaunteed* to be wrong until its set.

Just making a point, not recommending that the book do it.

>>I would suggest modifying the setclock script to write to the BIOS
>>during shutdown but not link it from rc6.d and rc0.d.
>>

>Ie. make the script complete and able to save the state if necessary. yes I agree thats a good
idea.

>>Then put a
>>paragraph in the book about making the symlinks and that it is
>>recommended.
>>

>Nice try. that paragraph would be UNhelpful to ANYONE who doesnt synchronise their machine
somehow.

Brings back the same discussion on which clock would be correct if it is
not synchronized. IMO, it doesn't matter. The book can as well say that
if the user synchronizes the system clock in some way, (s)he can make
the symlinks.

>The paragraph should instead state the reason we DONT use the shutdown symlinks, and suggest the
user investigate ntpd and such if they require such functionality.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar