'su - lfs' dropping into the background

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Jan 24 18:59:12 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 03:31:47PM +0100, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> Using bash 2.05b made no difference.  To exclude library problems I
> built static versions of bash, env and su on an LFS system and dropped
> on the host.  It turns out that 'su' is the culprit.  All other things
> being equal:
>
> root:/# /opt/static/su - lfs
> lfs:~$
> lfs:~$ Yoopee!
> bash: Yoopee!: command not found
>
> Then I got the sh-utils-2.0 source package from the SuSE 7.0 CDs.  It
> uses a patch that affects mainly just su (doing something with PAM).
> Building with the patch results in a backgrounding su, without the patch
> su behaves fine.  Building the same package with the patch on an LFS
> system, using the same switches, su behaves fine too.  Apparently I have
> fubarred PAM stuff on my host.  Not so yoopee.
>
> Then I tried it with a pristine SuSE 7.0 installation: 'su - lfs'
> backgrounds there too.  Hmm, looks like a broken distro to me.  Anyone
> who can confirm this?

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it. Definitely sounds like a broken su
on that SuSE host. In that case, I'm inclined to leave the current exec in
place coz it apparently works fine everywhere else. Not only that, the issue
in question only arises when leaving the lfs user's environment which is
not super critical.