plans and wishes

Alex Groenewoud alex at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 25 12:50:57 PST 2004

Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> Now, an "eliptical logic" question: if you have /mnt to mount temporary
> filesystems, but you can create any dir on /, including ones to mount
> temporary filesystems, why you have a /mnt dir on the first place?

Ah.  That's a good one.  I have no answer.  But you see, that is how I
saw /mnt being used in "Linux Installation and Getting Started" (in
4.4.1 Mounting, 4.8.4 Using floppies, and 4.11.x Recovery -- yes, I
actually read most of the thing, three years ago).  Please don't tell me
that the people who wrote that were stumbling newbies.

The one good argument against using /mnt or /lfs is that it is common
practice to use subdirs of /mnt.  (Although my SuSE distro didn't have
them, and used /cdrom and /floppy mount points in /, so you can probably
understand why subdirs look ugly to me.)

Noticing the strong opposition, I plead for a truce.  :)  Let the book
continue to use $LFS, as I prefer it to an explicit /mnt/lfs.

Alex