plans and wishes

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jan 25 15:34:58 PST 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 16:50, Alex Groenewoud wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > Now, an "eliptical logic" question: if you have /mnt to mount temporary
> > filesystems, but you can create any dir on /, including ones to mount
> > temporary filesystems, why you have a /mnt dir on the first place?
>
> Ah.  That's a good one.  I have no answer.  But you see, that is how I
> saw /mnt being used in "Linux Installation and Getting Started" (in
> 4.4.1 Mounting, 4.8.4 Using floppies, and 4.11.x Recovery -- yes, I
> actually read most of the thing, three years ago).  Please don't tell me
> that the people who wrote that were stumbling newbies.

I'll not tell, I don't know them ;). But, taking a brief look on this doc, I
see at least one thing I disagree: on the section "Using a swap file", they
use as example a file called /swap. Hm, creating a file with variable content
right on "/" is not a good example to show for newbies, IMHO ;)

> The one good argument against using /mnt or /lfs is that it is common
> practice to use subdirs of /mnt.  (Although my SuSE distro didn't have
> them, and used /cdrom and /floppy mount points in /, so you can probably
> understand why subdirs look ugly to me.)

I would like to apologize for using FHS as argument against /lfs. FHS is
unclear on this topic and actually doesn't forbid this usage at all. I saw on
a FHS' mailing list thread that some people even think FHS forbids creating
dirs _inside_ /mnt. These are only misreadings/wrong assumptions, of course.

> Noticing the strong opposition, I plead for a truce.  :)  Let the book

Agreed. This thread is also becoming boring. Let's do something more useful,
like *release LFS 5.1* :)
--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org