A /usr partition and mountfs script issue

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sun Jan 25 16:17:12 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 18:43, Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:15:37PM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > Is anyone planning on adding hotplugd to LFS 5.1?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> > I think I might
> > actually have a functional case for adding it to LFS and not BLFS.  USB
> > keyboard loves to keep numlock on by default, which breaks 9 of the
> > qwerty keys from the default map when you have a tiny USB keyboard like
> > the Zippy.  (Hey, at night in my room anything important lights up,
> > including the keyboard.)  Considering the ubiquity of USB nowadays, it
> > and might well be advisable to add into the book, simply because of the
> > awesome functionality provided by the package.
>
> Sorry, but this has BLFS written all over it. Or maybe even a hint if it's
> semi-complicated (as a precursor to getting it into BLFS). It may be become
> important enough one day to warrant direct LFS inclusion but not now IMHO.

So LFS isn't scoped to own module loading?  Seriously, tho'.  The
hotplug, pciutils (with the little pcimodules patch), and usbmodules
packages together eliminate cold-plugged (i.e., currently installed)
hardware module loading issues.  I've got a USB mouse and keyboard, a
USB camera (a few actually, in various states of support), a via-rhine
integrated 10/100 card, an SBLive! 5.1, and a BT878 video card, my
/etc/modules.conf is _empty_ and they _all_ work properly.  I *will* get
this stuff added to BLFS if that's what scope it falls into--I just
figured I'd check LFS first.

The problem with USB keyboards is a bit more pressing because without
formally loading all the modules, the keymap stays fairly broken when
the numlock defaults to on for a terminal... you can't actually turn it
off without the keymap being fixed.
--
The email address above is phony because the people making archives of list
traffic publicly available on the web aren't taking measures to protect the
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org