A /usr partition and mountfs script issue

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Jan 26 06:58:41 PST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 18:43, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:15:37PM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > > Is anyone planning on adding hotplugd to LFS 5.1?
> >
> > Not that I know of.
> >
> > > I think I might
> > > actually have a functional case for adding it to LFS and not BLFS.  USB
> > > keyboard loves to keep numlock on by default, which breaks 9 of the
> > > qwerty keys from the default map when you have a tiny USB keyboard like
> > > the Zippy.  (Hey, at night in my room anything important lights up,
> > > including the keyboard.)  Considering the ubiquity of USB nowadays, it
> > > and might well be advisable to add into the book, simply because of the
> > > awesome functionality provided by the package.
> >
> > Sorry, but this has BLFS written all over it. Or maybe even a hint if it's
> > semi-complicated (as a precursor to getting it into BLFS). It may be become
> > important enough one day to warrant direct LFS inclusion but not now IMHO.

I don't know the technical considerations, but I would look at it this
way. For KVM issues, can LFS get *basic* operation without adding more
functionality? Will it allow the user to continue to BLFS (I ignore issues of
convenience and even all "correct" operation here). If so, then I would
see a lot of resistance to adding to LFS for these things. That's based
on the expressed desire (in many areas) to avoid "unnecessary" packages
(nasm for Lilo comes to mind).

> So LFS isn't scoped to own module loading?  Seriously, tho'.  The

*chuckle* Yep. I don't always agree with that, but past behvior
indicates that LFS wants to avoid it wherever possible.

> <snip good reasons to include hotplugd>

> The problem with USB keyboards is a bit more pressing because without
> formally loading all the modules, the keymap stays fairly broken when
> the numlock defaults to on for a terminal... you can't actually turn it
> off without the keymap being fixed.

With usb KM becoming more common, this would justify LFS inclusion *if*
it can't be adequately addressed in the book. I presume it is not a
major issue as I don't recall seeing a lot of help requests and there
*must* be beau coup usb configs using LFS. I do recall some requests and
an extensive discussion of hotplug and related.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet