RFC - bootscript error reporting

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 04:17:51 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:23:24PM -0800, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> While a nice idea...I'm not sure I'd like the job of determining the
> importance level.  I still think pause the process, and let the user
> make the determination themselves on how serious the situation is.

Yeah, but for a corrupted partition, one should *not* continue the boot
process. So perhaps leave that one as fatal. It seems to me that since
e2fs likes to call everything an error, we either have to discriminate
between the exit codes, or force a reboot so the next time checkfs runs
it will pass.

--
Archaic

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best
state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one;
for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries *by a
government*, which we might expect in a country *without government*,
our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by
which we suffer."

- Thomas Paine