Lfs-dev Digest, Vol 180, Issue 1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 28 12:12:52 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 12:34, Richard Rogers wrote:
> I had started to put together some documentation on LFS branching
> policy & procedure, but I got distracted by my real job :) I can
> start working on it again after I get back from Hawai'i if the
> topic is heating up again.

That would be appreciated.

Are you following lfs-book? Some changes were made that should not be
part of the LFS-5.x cycle so I think we may have to create a branch
based on work done before last night so these last changes aren't part
of LFS-5.1. LFS-5.1 is pretty near ready for release anyways, so
branching now will work. Somebody please explain how to branch based on
a past date.

> I think part of the reason this dicussion seems to keep spinning
> around without reaching a conclusion is that we need a clearer
> definition of the LFS development & release life cycle goals
> before we can come up with sensible policies to support them.

That's an accurate observation. Without going into too much detail in
this email, I think the release for maintenance release (ie the current
5.x line until 6.0 is ready) is to simply update packages to latest
versions and fix whatever serious bugs we find. I think it's safe to say
most work will be done in package updates and the install instructions
will have to be synced with the trunk. Package update is often just a
matter of editing an entity file to change a version number, so that's
easy to duplicate into the trunk, even if it has to be done manually for
some reason. Installation instructions themselves may require more work
but not overly much.

More on this will have to be discussed fairly soon