Policy changes -- Result of today's blow out

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 28 15:17:00 PST 2004

It seems that certain policy changes have become a necessity.

When LFS was first founded, it was a small, relatively informal
endeavor. Since then, LFS has expanded substantially, thanks to the
expertise of many fine developers and participants. It has become
readily apparent that certain policy changes are required to deal with
some of the growing pains that accompany such success and expansion of
vision.

Those of you who are actively reading this list and the lfs-support list
are aware that personal issues and development arguments have found
their way onto these lists, again. I do not condone this action from any
of the involved parties. Whether the people involved thought they were
justified in their actions or not does not matter. It is highly
inappropriate to do so on public forums such as our mailing lists,
newsgroups, and IRC channels. In the past, I have dealt directly with
the people involved. Despite informal requests to keep the name calling
and flames off the lists, it still perpetuates. I have been relatively
tolerant in the past, giving nothing more than a slap on the wrist and a
"don't do it again" warning. Clearly, this has had only a limited
effect.

Some of you have suggested to put the lists in moderated mode. I still
believe this will be detrimental to our community and development
efforts if I have to read every post and censor your actions. However,
the issue of using a public forum to deal with personnel issues is
completely unacceptable. From now on, personnel issues are to be dealt
with, privately, between the people involved. If the issue cannot be
resolved, it will be brought to my attention and dealt with as I deem
appropriate. Failure to comply with this will result in immediate
suspension of privileges, and administrative action will be taken.

This policy change is mandatory for EVERYONE, no matter how legitimate
the issue, and is non-negotiable. The flaming and other inappropriate
behaviour will stop NOW.

We have a wonderful, intelligent community of people working hard on
this endeavor. Let's all work hard to keep it that way.

Thanks for your cooperation,