Apparent bash-ism in bootscripts

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 29 04:48:02 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 15:43, Nathan Coulson wrote:
>

> > Just for your own information, we [lfs-bootscript team] are currently
> > working on rewriting the bootscripts.  We were going to make them ash
> > compliant [note, I haven't talked to the rest of the team about this yet,
> > but I personally dont think they'll object].
>
> Not only will I not object, but I will whole-heartedly support this!

If you already planned or considered this, well "Great minds think
alike"!  :)

Just wanted to mention this. Since you are looking at a rework, I think
it would be useful to take a look at some of the other *init* scripts
that LFSers have made available. The purpose would be two-fold.

First, does the team/community/Gerard want to consider switching to one
of these other styles. May be a moot point as sysvinit style is so
pervasive in the *IX communities, is well understood and has been
(to-date) the preference of Gerard and others.

Second, even if a switch is not desirable, there are probably some neat
tricks there that might be incorporated (and credited) and save some
aggravation or time in code development. Even if not incorporated, it
might spark a Great Idea (TM) that you could use and credit the cause of
it.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational