RFC - bootscript error reporting

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 29 11:04:17 PST 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Actually, now that I think about it...someone with more knowledge than
> me answer this - would it be possible to have a fifo device (via mkfifo)
> set up someplace where we could write messages to prior to the
> filesystem being mounted in r/w mode, then at S99log, cat the contents
> to that fifo into a log file?

I don't think this is possible; a FIFO has to have a reader available
for anyone to be able to write to it. Without an active reader, all
writes will just block, which would not be too good in the bootscripts :-)

This issue (among others) is why I've been considering using an actual
program to handle running bootscripts (like the simpleinit that's in
util-linux, only with more functionality) instead of relying just shell
functions to do it. In this sort of environment, the program could be
the "reader" on the FIFO that any/all of the scripts write to as they
find things to message about. That's a radical departure from the
current system used in LFS, though.