Suggestion (was Re: Apparent bash-ism in bootscripts)

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Thu Jan 29 12:30:08 PST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Nathan Coulson wrote:

> > Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:

> >><snip>

> > If I might add one more suggestion along this line of thought.  One of
> > the things I struggle with on the lists is "what are we after" or "what
> > is the status with that decision" in a concise format.  The topics and
> > RFC's wander and it is difficult (at least for me) to keep track,
> > especially if a decision was made.  Would you guys be willing to keep a
> > wiki page going for this?  Make it a simple bulleted list of features
> > you are thinking about implementing.  Keep relevant list thread url's
> > there about discussion of that piece/feature and then also put the
> > decision of "do it" or not there with the link to the list where it was
> > decided.  People can also place thier direct vote for a feature or topic
> > right there as well.
> >
> > I would suggest we think about this approach for a lot of decisions we
> > need to make about the book.  The owner of the RFC or idea would be
> > responsible to keep up with the page to keep everyone else up to date as
> > well.  This, IMO, would potentially help with the "conversation die in
> > the list" issue we seem to have.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think using a wiki would be a great way to organize this in the short term.

Considering what this thread is becoming, I don't see a lot of viable
alternatives. I also believe it has usefulness as you suggest, as a
general design tool. There has been some stated objections to having to
go somewhere besides the lists, so I don't know how much success it
would have as a general tool.

I suggest that for the taks at hand, you are "Master of the Seas" and
can dictate that your design will be done on the wiki. Those who wish to
participate will follow.

> [so, now I have to learn how to use CVS, and the wiki, and bugzilla].

Basic use of the wiki is quick and easy. Has "on-line" help and didn't
take me long to get a basic comfort level.

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational