Lists vs. Wiki (was Re: Roadmap update)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 29 15:14:18 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:03:08 -0500 (EST)
Bill's LFS Login <lfsbill at nospam.dot> wrote:

>  3) When someone does take the time to go to the wiki and post, even
>  if
>     the post is off-topic or starts a side topic, it is easily
>     rearranged, sorted and categorized (if the primary topic person
>     chooses to do so) so that some sort of structured view is
>     permissible.
>
>     This is difficult with list posts *unless* someone tracks the
>     posts(either copying as they arrive or laboriously pouring through
>     the archives) and then does a similar re-structure, re-order,
>     re-hash summary of what was stated in the posts.

If I'm not mistaken this is what happens on some lists (such as the
sunmanagers.org mailing list).  You'll often see a "Thread Title
[SUMMARY]" message which is intended to do all the things you mention
above.  It's also a good indicator that the thread originator is
satisfied with the solutions/opinions already presented and no more are
required, hence bringing the discussion to a nice quick, neat close.
Not sure whether it's worth adopting this as a general guideline, but
it's my "two bits" anyway!

Best Regards,

Matt.