Lists vs. Wiki (was Re: Roadmap update)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 29 15:51:29 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:43:07 -0500 (EST)
"Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational" <bill at nospam.dot> wrote:

> Sounds intriguing. Would we have some mechanism to make it easy to get
> *just* those summaries (separating the wheat from the chaff, so to
> speak). I had an initial thought, but it's been a long day at the KB
> and I didn't feel like looking like a fool by suggesting what first
> came to mind.  :P

Bill, ever the one to make myself look like a fool in public I'll
offer my immediate thoughts without hesitation :) (if nothing else it'll
give me a giggle in a few years time to see how often I embarked on such
willful self-humiliation):

1) Use your MUA's search facility :)
2) The guideline (should there be one) makes a suggestion of posting the
summary message in it's own thread.  The MUA can then be used to sort by
message subject so all "[SUMMARY]: xyz" messages *should* be at the top.
3) The archive search engine could be tweaked to just search summary
messages (not sure whether this is feasible)
4) Another list subscription mode along the lines of digest but simply
summary-mode where the only thing you ever get is summary messages
(again not sure whether this can be implemented or not).

Best regards,

Matt.