Don't forget the educational value of the book (was: Roadmap update)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 29 18:32:12 PST 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 20:36, Richard Rogers wrote:
> I too would like to run a stable production "don't upgrade anything
> unless I have to" LFS machine. I've kind of waivered back and forth
> about suggesting that the LFS project support that. My current thinking
> is that LFS should be just an educational book, not a Linux distribution.
> As such, it should tell the reader how to keep their system as up to
> date or safely out of date :) as they need it. Users who need stable
> systems but lack the skills to keep their system updated appropriately
> (perhaps with a _little_ help from lfs-support/lfs-security) would
> probably be better served by a more traditional Linux distribution.
> Of course, if someone wants to start an LFS Distribution project,
> that's another story :)

Know what? I'm starting to adopt this "philosophy" too :). I just noticed we
(well, at least me) are worrying too much about getting the book updated with
the latest package versions, and we are forgetting the main objective (IMHO)
of the book: *teach how to build your own Linux system*. We are not a distro,
and the reader should not expect that the latest book version implies the
latest package versions. If we want to emphatize and improve the book as an
educational resource, we should also teach (at least pointing out useful
resources) how to get the LFS system updated and secured. This way, our
mission can be "upgraded" to *teach how to build _and maintain_ your own
Linux system*.

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org