Lists vs. Wiki (was Re: Roadmap update)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 19:12:18 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:29:25PM +0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> IMO it would be the initiator of the thread.  They're the ones that
> asked for comments/suggestions on an idea, so they're the ones that
> should be following the thread most closely.  If you take the recent
> "bootscript RFC" thread it would have been the maintainers that would
> monitor the thread and summarize it once they're satisfied with the
> outcomes.  In that particular case I'd think the "summary" message would
> simply say something like "See the bootscript dev plan at [url]".

This is uncharted territory for LFS. If the lack of much user activity
on the wiki is any indication, forcing dev issues off list may cause
some people to stop trying as the mailing list has been the predominant
medium for development in Linux since it's inception. Maybe I'm just
showing my old fogey side by resisting change, but perhaps we need to
more carefully consider if the wiki will improve signal-noise ratio, and
if it will, will it also attract enough quality developers? Just
something to chew on.

--
Archaic

definition, not smart enough to debug it."

- Brian Kernighan