MAKEDEV-1.7 and hdx >hdg

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 30 04:41:22 PST 2004

On Sun, 25, Jan, 2004 at 11:09:44AM +1100, Greg Schafer spoke thus..
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:02:33PM +0100, Rainer Peter Feller wrote:
> > Hi there is something strange :-)
> >
> > I have many ide-controlers and it creates the wrong devices for hd[i-j]
> > and hd[k-l].
> > it uses
> >   base=`index gh $unit`
> > instead of
> >   base=`index ij $unit`
> > and
> >   base=`index kl $unit`
>

> Hmmm, looks like a bug :-(
>
> Mark H. is listed as the current MAKEDEV maintainer. His participation in
> LFS/BLFS is now minimal. I wonder if he still wants to be the maintainer of
> this package or if he'd like someone else to pick it up. I've cc'd him to
> find out.

If someone else wants to take over maintainence of MAKEDEV, they're more
than welcome.  To be honest, it's such a mess that some better solution
is needed (I still wish devices.txt was parsable).  Roll on udev,
that's what I say.

Oh, and I've checked my CVS repository and I don't have any changes made
from MAKEDEV-1.7 locally so whoever wants it will be picking it up from
the same point I would be.

Mark

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the Lawyers"
     Henry VI Part II, Shakespeare