Don't forget the educational value of the book (was: Roadmap update)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 30 11:59:55 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:32:12 -0400
Anderson Lizardo <lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I just noticed we (well, at least me) are worrying too much about
> getting the book updated with the latest package versions

Me too, but then I'm the "LFS General Package Maintainer" so I'm
allowed :P

> and we are forgetting the main objective (IMHO) of the book: *teach
> how to build your own Linux system*.

I see these two areas as othorgonal.  The package versions don't affect
the educational value at all.  But then there are those of us (<points
to self>) that, whilst being concerned about the educational value of
the book, don't feel capable enough to be able to evaluate such
"wishy-washy" criteria.  I'm a programmer at heart so feel most at home
comparing numbers rather than *thinking* about much harder to classify
goals.  Having said that, I will of course offer my opinions where I
think they add value to whatever educational discussions may arise.

Regards,

Matt.