MAKEDEV-1.7 and hdx >hdg

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jan 30 12:08:50 PST 2004

On Fri, 30, Jan, 2004 at 08:32:31PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann spoke thus..
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:41:22 +0000 Mark Hymers
> <markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > If someone else wants to take over maintainence of MAKEDEV, they're more
> > than welcome.  To be honest, it's such a mess that some better solution
> > is needed (I still wish devices.txt was parsable).  Roll on udev,
> > that's what I say.
>
> udev is in an unforeseeable future. What do you have against make_devices
> (as you don't seem to regard it as a "better solution")?
> It is the result of parsing devices.txt. That it can't be recreated with a
> simple script doesn't matter. devices.txt doesn't change much.

I didn't comment on make_devices (in that email; I may have done in the
past).  To be honest the only reason I don't use make_devices myself is
that I'm inherently lazy and can't be ar^H^Hbothered to go through the
script uncommenting what I need.  Hence, MAKEDEV is still fairly useful
for me - and a script which parses devices.txt and allows you to do
thescript devicename would be even better; yes, I know about grep but as
I said, I'm inherently lazy (especially these days).

Mark

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the Lawyers"
     Henry VI Part II, Shakespeare